Last week we attended Food & Wine Festival “A Taste of Capella” at Capella Pedregal Hotel & Resort, and we had such an amazing time. Hanging out, laying by the pool and exchanging recipes with Celebrity Chefs like Kent Rathbun and Kevin Rathbun, pastry Chef Johnny Iuzzini and Capella Pedregal’s Executive Chef Marco Bustamante was the best. And the food – over the TOP! As usual!
I’m a big fan of ceviche, so I attended the cooking demonstration by Marco Bustamante, and learned to make “Ojo Rojo” Mixed Seafood Ceviche with Local Seafood and Black Pepper Lemon Crackers. I got the recipe as well, and thought I’d share it with you, so that when you are not on Los Cabos escapes with us and food prepared by our chefs, you can still taste a piece of Cabo San Lucas at your home as well.
“Ojo Rojo” Mixed Seafood Ceviche with Local Seafood and Black Pepper Lemon Crackers
by Marco Bustamante, Executive Chef at Capella Pedregal
1 C. Tomato Juice
¼ C. Orange Juice
¼ C. Lime Juice
¼ C. Red Pepper Juice
2 oz. Clam Broth
1 oz. Tequila Reposado
2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
2 dashes Tabasco Sauce
1 ea. Jalapeño
12 ea. Mussels
2 oz. Lump Crab Meat
2 oz. Diced Tuna
2 oz. Calamari
2 oz. White Fish, Lime Cured
12 ea. Medium Shrimp, Peeled and deveined
1 ea. Tomato, Diced
½ ea. Yellow Onion
¼ Bunch Cilantro
½ ea. Avocado, Medium Dice
1 ea. Celery Stick
1 C. White Wine
- Begin by preparing the marinade. First mix all the liquid ingredients of the marinade and season with salt and pepper.
- Then add the whole Jalapeño to the marinade without cutting the Chile so that it is not too spicy.
- Reserve marinade in the refrigerator and keep cold until ready to serve.
- To prepare the seafood begin by placing a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Blanch the calamari and shrimp separately in the pot of water for 1-2 minutes until cooked. Once they are cooked put them directly into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- In a deep sauté pan, sauté half of the medium diced onion over high heat. Add the mussels and white wine. Cover with a lid and allow mixture to steam for 1-2 minutes. Once the mussels open, quickly remove them from the pot and cool them in the refrigerator.
- To cure the white fish, cover it in lime juice and allow to sit for 1 hour. This will “cook“ the fish for the ceviche.
- Once all of the seafood is prepared and cool, place all of it into a large bowl. then add the diced tomato, onion and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rim a chilled glass with salt and fill half way with the seafood. Top with the marinade and garnish with diced avocado and celery stick.
- Serve with your favorite chip or cracker!
For more information on Capella Pedregal rates and packages, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at: USA Toll Free: 888-264-1827; USA: 619-819-6178 or within Mexico: 624-105-9100. Let me know also how your ceviche turned out, and if you’d like some other Mexican recipe for your cookbook.